Hand in Hand, Faith in Action
Camp Director Job Description
Camp Sheldrake is an accredited outdoor adventure camp for youth aged 5 – 17 years, located in Bartibog, NB. As a non-profit Catholic-based camp affiliated with the Roman Catholic Diocese of Saint John, our program bases itself in Christian values while welcoming campers of all denominations. Our programing encourages building confidence, trust and social consciousness in youth through its daily programs.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Camp director will oversee the general program operations within the guidelines of Camp Sheldrake’s mission statement and polices as well as the New Brunswick Camping Association accreditation guidelines. The Camp Director salary is based on full time hours throughout the months of May 15th to August 31st with the possibility of 10-15 hours per week in the off season (September 1st– May 14th) depending on the degree that off season activities can be expanded.
- In collaboration with the board of directors; recruit, hire and supervise summer staff in accordance with the New Brunswick’s employment standards.
- Develop staff training materials, organize and conduct pre-camp staff training sessions.
- Provide opportunities for professional development, spiritual and personal growth for staff.
- Develop and execute mid-summer and exit interview with all staff. Camp director will have mid-summer and exit interview following the last week of camp with at least 3 board members.
- Establish specific times and days for regular staff meetings with specific agenda and minutes.
- Ensure policies and practices outlined in the staff manual are being monitored with evaluation status.
- Give guidance and direction to on-site volunteers.
Management and Administration
- In collaboration with Board of Directors, set summer schedule and develop marketing materials.
- Look for opportunities to effectively promote camp locally and provincially while expanding current programs.
- Communicate and engage effectively with campers, staff, volunteers, and alumni
- Work with the Board of Directors in monitoring all expenses and revenues within the framework of the operating budget. Establish accounting principles for expenses with defined accountability. A written statement to be provided to Board of Directors monthly.
- Conduct regular on-site work place, health and safety inspections ensuring we are following all accreditation and safety standards.
- Assist and support with fundraising and promotional events.
- Attend Camp Sheldrake Board meetings with written report on current activities.
- Plan, operate and oversee all aspects of the camp program in a safe, and efficient manner in accordance with current standards.
- Set goals and objectives for current programs while expanding and creating new and additional programing in the off season.
- Ensure that programming bases itself in the Christian values of the Roman Catholic Church while welcoming all denominations with a focus on social justice themes.
The successful candidate will have:
- a post-secondary degree in Education, Recreation or equivalent with experience directly related to children’s programing
- the ability to provide leadership, counsel, motivation and supervision to a staff
- current and valid Workplace Standard First Aid + CPR (2 days), Criminal Record and Vulnerable Sector Check.
- must be willing to live on site while camp is in operation. Lodging and meals will be provided during this time.
- bilingualism is considered an asset.